image1

Industries

Bass River

Matthew and James Peppard built flour and oat mills, then later added a saw and carding mill. This was in operation six months when all the mills were wiped out by fire in March 1829. By November 5, 1830 they had re-erected the sawmill and the carding mill building. Fulton’s Furniture Factory was established by George Fulton in 1864. It was purchased from Scott Fulton by Albert Lewis in 1919 and was closed down in 1952. Dominion Chair Company FactoryDominion Chair Dominion Chair Company, 1875Company was founded by George and William Fulton in 1860. In 1875, George Fulton bought the Acadia Chair Factory (incorporated 1870) at Portapique and moved it to Bass River. The Dominion Chair Company Factory burned down five times: March 18, 1885, November 3, 1892, 1909, November 23, 1910 and July 26, 1948, and was rebuilt each time. The factory burned a sixth time in 1989 and was not rebuilt. In June, 1895 the Fossil Flour Company’s pole railway was opened between Bass River and the plant at Castlereagh, and Bass River became the export centre for the silica brought there. The railway was abandoned after three years and in 1901, the silica was shipped by road. The Government built wharves here in 1894 and 1920. The Economy and Bass River Dairy Company Limited creamery was established in 1892, and moved to Great Village in 1918. Fishing and farming are the main industries in the mid 20th century.

Castlereagh

Fossil Flour Company, Burned 1905Amos Hill and Leander Corbett began to process silica, but they eventually sold out to an American company managed by D. S. Collins of New York. Mr. Collins organized the Fossil Flour Company and began mining in 1892. A factory for processing the silica was built in 1895 and on June 28, 1895, the pole railway between Castlereagh and Bass River used for transporting the product was opened. This railway only operated for three years, and the factory was burned down about 1905. Mr. Collins sold the works to Hingley and McNeil who subsequently moved it to Tatamagouche.

Economy

A lumber mill built by James Miller in 1882 was sold to the Nova Scotia Lumber Company in 1891.

Five Islands

A building built in the early 1800’s and used as a carpenter shop and store, became a town hall in 1916. It burned down in 1932, and a new community hall was built in 1933. The Tremont Hotel was begun about 1868 and was purchased by Mrs. Ena Cochrane in 1944. In 1960 she was still operating it under the name of Moose Lodge. A lighthouse was built at Sand Point in 1914. Farming, fishing and lumbering are the principal industries. A clam-canning factory was built at North River in 1916.

Glenholme

The Folly Village Creamery Co. began operations in 1900 and closed down in 1920.

Great Village

A Postal Way Office was established in 1855. In 1872, a Post Office was opened in A. W. McLellan’s store. In 1889, eight buildings including the Post Office were destroyed by fire. The Post Office was rebuilt, but burned again in 1894. Farming, lumbering, shipbuilding, and shipping have been the main industries. In 1860, a wharf was built by Acadia Charcoal Company as a point for shipping iron and steel from the Londonderry Iron Works. A new wharf was built by the Federal Government in 1891 and in 1927 a larger and better wharf was built for shipping pulp-wood, then a rapidly growing industry. The Great Village Creamery was begun in 1895.

Londonderry

When iron ore was discovered and the Acadian Charcoal Iron Co. began smelting and mining operations in 1849-1850 the new settlement took the name "Acadian Mines". Eventually "Acadia Mines" was also used. By 1866, the term "Acadian Charcoal Iron Co. mines at Londonderry, Colchester Co." indicates that "Londonderry" was becoming the place name. By Nova Scotian statues, chapter 46 of 1877 the name Acadia Mines was changed to "Siemens" in honor of the Director of the Steel Company. In 1902, the name was changed from Acadia Mines to "Londonderry". Hematite ore was discovered here in 1844, a company was formed in 1847 and mining operations began in 1849. There was probably little settlement here before this time. A rolling mill was built in 1869, and converting furnaces were constructed in 1870. Steel Company of Canada purchased the works in 1874, and in 1875, blast furnaces, stoves, engine-houses, dwellings, tramways and branch railways were built. The opening of the railway between Truro and Amherst in 1873 provided transportation for materials and production, and in 1875 the new branch line built by the company between East Mines and Debert station, provided a direct line of transportation for the ore to the furnaces. Iron Steel Company About 1887, the company was reorganized to form Londonderry Iron and Steel Co. Ltd., but production temporarily ceased in 1898. In July 1900, the rolling mills, the pipe shops which was completed about May 1888, and the foundry were burned down. In March 1908, ore mining temporarily ceases. In November 1899, the assets of the Londonderry Iron and Steel Co. were sold to H. S. Hart, the president of Montreal Gas Co. and in 1902, about 200 men were put to work rebuilding the iron works, pip foundry, machine shop, cake overs, and railway. Construction of a new steel plant was begun in the summer of 1910, but about 1915 this company, which was called Londonderry Iron and Mining Co. folded up and ceased operations. In 1928 the works were sold for scrap to John Simon of Halifax, and in May 1954, Sidney J. Simon bought the mines and the slag which he intended to sell for paving. A settlement of about 5000 at the peak of prosperity, able to attract several hundred English miners in 1876, shrank to about 1000 by 1920, and to about 300 by 1956.

Five Islands

A building built in the early 1800’s and used as a carpenter shop and store, became a town hall in 1916. It burned down in 1932, and a new community hall was built in 1933. The Tremont Hotel was begun about 1868 and was purchased by Mrs. Ena Cochrane in 1944. In 1960 she was still operating it under the name of Moose Lodge. A lighthouse was built at Sand Point in 1914. Farming, fishing and lumbering are the principal industries. A clam-canning factory was built at North River in 1916.