Churches & Cemeteries
Brookfield East and Westside Cemeteries
Earliest grave was 1863, William H. Lynch.
Lower Pleasant Valley Cemetery
Middle Stewiacke Cemetery
In February, 1944, the late George S. Dickey donated a lot of land to the Middle Stewiacke community for a new cemetery. On May 26, 1956, an additional lot of land was donated by Lee Dickey (son of G. S. Dickey). The first burial was March 20, 1945, for Lewis Brenton.
Old Baptist Cemetery, Upper Stewiacke
Pine Grove Cemetery, Stewiacke East
Alton United Church
Brookfield Baptist Church
On January 8, 1862, the Baptist church in Brookfield was organized. The first Pastor was Rev. Theodore Harding Porter whose father, bearing the same name, was a Baptist Minister in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. The present church was built in 1924 on the same site as its predecessor to provide the increased space of which a growing membership needed. Brookfield (Knox) United Church
Burnside Presbyterian Church
First Framed Church, Gays River
Gays River United Church
A Presbyterian church was built in 1818; it was replaced by a new church which was begun in 1856 and opened in 1858. In 1925, it became the United Church. Today, a large cemetery sits in front of the church.
Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Fort Ellis
Holy Trinity Anglican Church was consecrated on July 12, 1848 and served until a new Holy Trinity church was built in the town of Stewiacke in 1909. Today, the Holy Trinity Anglican Cemetery and a momument are on the site.
Middle Stewiacke Church
The first Presbyterian meetinghouse burned down about the time it was completed inside. In 1804 a new church was built. The building was then replaced in 1848 by a church which was torn down in 1921. A new church was built soon afterwards on the bank of the Stewiacke River.
Sharon United Church, East Stewiacke
St. Paul's Anglican Chapel, Gays River
St. Paul’s Anglican chapel was begun in 1830, consecrated June 28, 1836, and abandoned in 1864.
Upper Stewiacke United Church
Wittenburg United Baptist Church
A Baptist meeting-house was begun about 1857 and was probably completed late in 1868.
A Baptist meetinghouse was opened in April 30, 1876, at East Stewiacke.
A log church was built by the Presbyterian near Fort Ellis in 1796-97. A new frame church was built in 1845 in Fort Ellis.