General Building Information
Below are some handouts and pamphlets available on Building Permits
Building Permit Applications
- pdf Online Application (109 KB)
- pdf Example (700 kB) (872 KB)
- pdf Plot Plan (163 KB)
- pdf Example (411kB) (411 KB)
- pdf Form Accessory Sheet (118 KB)
- pdf Form - Plumbing (61 KB)
- pdf Form - Oil Burner (29 KB)
- pdf Form - Masonry (72 KB)
- pdf Form - ICF (55 KB)
What are the requirements for YOUR project?
Are you building a...?
Here are some guidelines to follow and requirements needed prior to applying for a building permit.
- Do you have an approved building lot, or if you are subdividing land, a subdivision plan will be required which must be drawn and stamped by a licensed surveyor. Note: approximately 30 days is required after submission of plans to the Development Officer for approval (phone: 897-3170)
- Where a central sewer system is not provided, approval from the Department of Environment and Labour for an on-site sewage disposal system is required. Note: approximately 30 days is required after application is submitted to the Department of Environment and Labour (Phone: 893-5880).
- A sewer permit is issued by the Municipality where a lot is serviced by central sewer. There will be a $100 sewer permit fee and $50 deposit associated with this permit. Note: approximately 5 days required for approval (Phone 897-3175).
- An approved driveway permit from the Department of Transportation and Public Works is needed for provincially owned roads. Note: approximately 14 days is required after an application is submitted to Department of Transportation (Phone: 893-5780).
Proof of ownership of the land is sometimes required by a copy of a legal deed, or if you are building on someone else's property, a signed declaration by the owner must be submitted giving you approval to build on their land.
- When you have taken care of the above requirements and have the appropriate approvals, bring a complete set of building plans and a site plan showing the proposed location of the building with the set backs to the property lines to the Building Inspectors Office to fill out an application.
- Development permits are required if you are building in any of the zoned areas in the County. Note: approximately 7-10 days is required after completed application is submitted to the Development Officer's office (Phone: 897-3170).
- Your building plans will be reviewed by a Building Inspector for compliance with the current edition of the National Building Code and if approved, a building permit will be issued within 2-3 days.
A building permit is required for all types of construction, including additions. Permit fees for a residential addition is 0.06¢ per sq. ft.
Example: A single storey addition 12' x 10' = 120 sq. ft x 0.06 = $7 Information required to apply for a permit
- Plot Plan showing the setbacks of the addition (See Above Form_PlotPlan)
- Construction details (See the above Form_AccessorySheet)
A building permit is required for all types of construction, including decks.
Permit fees for a residential addition is 0.06¢ per sq. ft.
Example: A deck 10' x 10' = 100 sq. ft x 0.06 = $6.00
Information required to apply for a permit
- Plot Plan showing the setbacks of the deck (See Above Form_PlotPlan)
- Construction details (See Above Form_AccessorySheet)
Foundations for Decks
All decks and other raised platforms are required to have foundations that are below frost level except where:
- The deck is not attached to another structure and;
- The deck has an area of not more than 55 m2 (592 ft2) and;
- The deck is not more than one storey and;
- The deck does not support a roof and;
- The distance from finished grade to the underside of the floor joists is not more than 600 mm (24 inches)
A building permit is required for most types of garages and sheds.
If you are located in an un-zoned area, a storage shed under 215 sq ft does not require a buildig permit, unless power is to be connected to the building.
Permit fees for a residential garage is 0.02¢ per sq. ft.
Example: A Garage 24' x 24' =576 sq. ft x 0.02 = $11.00
Information required to apply for a permit
- Plot Plan showing the setbacks of the garage (See Above Form_PlotPlan)
- Construction details (See above Form_AccessorySheet)