Registered Colchester Heritage Sites
These fourteen sites have been registered as Municipal Heritage Properties in the County of Colchester.
Greenfield United Church of Canada
1578 Greenfield Road, Greenfield
The Greenfield United Church was registered as a Municipal Heritage Property in Colchester County on January 30th, 1997. The Church, erected in 1888 and dedicated in 1889 is over 120 years old. This wood frame construction building is the only Church in the community of Greenfield and was one of the original buildings in the community. It was established as a Union Church to serve both Presbyterians and Methodists on alternating Sundays and the Church became part of the United Church of Canada in 1925. A Church Cemetery is located to the side of the church.
Isgonish Marsh Burying Grounds Association
Marsh Road, Belmont
The Isgonish Marsh Burying Grounds was registered as a Municipal Heritage Property in Colchester County on January 30th, 1997. Isgonish Marsh is the site of the burying grounds of the first settlers in the district of the Londonderry Township. The burying grounds are located in Belmont and the gravestones on site date from the 1790’s to the 1890’s making the Burying Grounds over 210 years old. Approximately 35 people were buried on this property. However, it is thought that there are many more unmarked graves. The gravestones include family names still common in the community such as the Crowes, Barnhills, Wilsons, Peppards and Grahams, among others.The site has been maintained as an early burial ground not as a modern cemetery. In 1987, the Isgonish Marsh Burying Grounds Association was formed to restore the site which had become run down with many broken stones and overgrown with alders, etc.
Stewiacke Valley Museum
5445 Highway 289, Upper Stewiacke
The Stewiacke Valley Museum was registered as a Municipal Heritage Property in Colchester County on January 30th, 1997. Located in Upper Stewiacke the Museum was built in 1886 as a community hall and remained as a hall until the 1980’s. With a wood frame construction, the building is one of the oldest in Upper Stewiacke and has been used by the community frequently for the past 100 years.
The Stewiacke Valley Museum maintains a presence on facebook. Their page can be viewed by clicking here.
West New Annan United Church
1128 Warwick Mountain Road, West New Annan
The West New Annan United Church was registered as a Municipal Heritage Property for Colchester County on February 27th, 1997. The Church was designed by Robert Ward McCombie with Gothic type construction. Built in 1890 by William Carruthers and dedicated in February of 1891, the building was originally going to be a Presbyterian Church. A focal point of the community, the Church seats three hundred.
The church closed in December of 2011 but has found new life as a Community owned meeting place. It is now called the West New Annan Heritage House and is available for rent for various functions. For more information on the transformation please click here to be taken to an article in the Truro Daily News.
The building has been run by a non-profit society since June of 2012. The Society maintains a presence on Facebook and their page can be viewed by clicking here.
Springside United Church
7072 Highway 289, Eastville
The Springside United Church was registered as a Municipal Heritage Property in Colchester County on January 30th, 1997. Located in Upper Stewiacke this Church was built in 1857 by John Crockett, opened in 1858 and was dedicated in February of 1859. The plans for the Church were made by Rev. Dr. James Smith, who was a Presbyterian Minister in the Stewiacke Valley for 41 years. The building is now the oldest Church building in the Stewiacke Valley and one of the oldest Churches in the Truro Presbytery.
The Springside United Church Pastoral Charge mantain a presence on Facebook. Their page can be viewed by clicking here.
The J. M. Blaikie House
8 Wharf Road, Great Village
The J.M. Blaikie House was registered as a Municipal Heritage Property in Colchester County on January 27th, 2000. This 3 story, 23 room Victorian house was built between 1867 and 1874 in Great Village. It has a wood frame construction and the features demonstrate details from Gothic and Queen Ann Revival periods. The exterior and interior of the house demonstrate the grand style of living in the Age of Sail in Great Village’s Heritage.
John M. Blaikie, the builder and original owner was known for his involvement in ship building. A particular ship he had an interest in, the “John M. Blaikie”, was the first of only two four-masted schooners ever built in Canada. The house now adorns the work of German artisan Peter Gottschall on the walls and floors as he lived there from 1936 to 1937. From 1957 to 1992 the house was used as a nursing home but today it is now a bed & breakfast.
Highway 326, Eastville
The Eastville Cemetery was registered as a Municipal Heritage Property in Colchester County on September 28th, 2000. The Cemetery was originally a family burial ground, on part of a farm belonging to Charles Cox, which began in 1856 in Upper Stewiacke. The nearest church to the cemetery is the Springfield United Church which is another registered Municipal Heritage Property. This former family burial ground has now evolved into a community cemetery.
18 Harrison Road, Eastville
The Eastville Schoolhouse was registered as a Municipal Heritage Property for Colchester County on September 25th, 2003. The Schoolhouse was constructed in 1876 with a wood frame construction. The school is “Classic Greek Revival”, an architectural style that became popular about 1830 and continued to be widely used into the first decade of the twentieth century. Judging by a small exposed area of wall, the building appears to be post and beam construction, a framing technique that was commonly used for many types of buildings until the latter part of the nineteenth century. Interestingly, the school was moved 50 to 75 feet onto a concrete block foundation during the late 1940’s, about the same time roads in the area were realigned.
The exterior of the building remains unaltered and is original in all respects except for the steel roofing that would have replaced wooden shakes or shingles. The exterior walls are finished with traditional cedar shingles. The interior of the building is original, except that wall board has replaced either a plaster or wood wall surfaces and a centrally located stove has been replaced with a modern heating system. Grades one through 12 were taught at the Eastville School until 1950 when the South Colchester High School opened in Brookfield. It is also interesting to note that the Eastville School opened in the same year that Colchester County was incorporated as a Municipality. Today, the school is used as a community hall.
909 Balmoral Road, Central New Annan
Wilson Schoolhouse was registered as a Municipal Heritage Property in Colchester County on September 25th, 2003. The Schoolhouse was built in 1890 with a wood frame construction by George Kennedy and Robert Wilson. The school was named after David Wilson who leased the land out for one cent a year. Grades one through 12 were taught at the Wilson School until 1950 when the North Colchester High School opened in Tatamagouche. Grades primary to six continued to be taught at the schoolhouse until 1966 when the school closed. The building is “Classic Greek Revival”, an architectural style that became popular about 1830 and continued to be widely used into the first decade of the twentieth century. The area of Central New Annan is associated with Anna Swan Bates Canada’s famed giantess who attended school in the area for ten years. A statue of Anna Bates, erected in 1977, now sits adjacent to the Wilson school.
Intercolonial Railway Station (Train Station Inn)
21 Station Road, Tatamagouche
The Train Station Inn was registered as a Municipal Heritage Property in Colchester County in May, 2006. The Intercolonial Railway constructed its "Short Line" from Oxford Junction to Stellarton through Tatamagouche in 1887. The ICR commissioned the Rhodes Curry Company of Amherst to build a passenger station in the village immediately east of the creamery. The ICR was merged into the Canadian National Railways in 1918 and CN operated this line as part of its "Oxford Subdivision", servicing mainly agricultural communities, as well as the salt mines at Malagash and Pugwash as well as a quarry in Wallace. Passenger service through Tatamagouche was discontinued in the 1960s and the station was used as an office for railway employees handling freight until 1972 when it was closed and sold in 1976. CN discontinued freight service on the line in 1986 when the Oxford Sub was abandoned; the rails were removed in 1989. Today the passenger station is a bed and breakfast with restored historic rail cars located on the property. The rail line through the village is a recreational trail, designated as part of the Trans Canada Trail and the point where the Nova Scotia portion of the trail branches south to Truro, Halifax and southwestern Nova Scotia, making Tatamagouche a good starting point for a short waterfront walk or a major biking expedition.
The Train Station Inn maintains a presence on facebook. You can view their page by clicking here.
Five Islands Lighthouse
21 Station Road, Tatamagouche
The Lighthouse is a wooden structure and was built on just over 2 acres of land at Sand Point in the winter of 1913/1914. The kerosene light was first lit in 1914. in about 1963 the oil lamp was removed and replaced with a battery operated system. In 1967, when electricity arrived at Sand Point, the light was changed from white to red. The Minas Basin has the highest tides in the world, and there is considerable erosion annually. The light was first moved back in 1952 and again 5 years later. It was placed as far inland as the property allowed and remained there until 1996. Nearly all of the land was gone and the base of the lighthouse was washing away. The Coast Guard was opting to dispose if the lighthouse which had been deactivated in 1993. Five Islands Lighthouse Preservation Society was formed in 1996. Municipality of the County of Colchester purchased the lighthouse and moved it onto the property of Sand Point Beach Campground. The Society leased the lighthouse from the Municipality and the land from Sand Point Beach Campground. On November 6, 2008, the lighthouse was moved on the back of a flatbed trailer from the campground to a new site on Broderick Lane, Lower Five Islands, about seven kilometres away. From the new site there is a wonderful panoramic view of the Five islands after which the lighthouse is named. This lighthouse is part of the Fundy Shore Ecotour. alt On April 28, 2010, at the AGM of NSLPS, the Society was awarded the Craig Harding Lighthouse Preservation Award which is presented annually to recognize an Organization or individual that has done outstanding work in saving lighthouses. The Lighthouse was designated as a Municipal Heritage Property in July of 2013, it's 100th anniversary. ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: Contributor: Kathy Brown and the Five Islands Lighthouse Preservations Society. Sources: Five Islands Lighthouse Preservation Society; The Story of Five Islands, Five Islands Women's Institute, 1969; NSLPS Database For more information please visit Lighthouse Friends.com
Earltown Community Centre
5527 Highway 311, Earltown
The Earltown Community Centre was registered as a Municipal Heritage Property in Colchester County on October 30, 2013. It is a very active and well-supported community based centre located along Highway 311 in Earltown. This former one-room rural schoolhouse was built in 1865 replacing the original log building, and was used to educate generations of children living in the Earltown area. It ceased to be a school in 1968 but continues to function as part of the core of community life in Earltown.
This modest building is valued for being a good example of a typical wooden clapboard, rectangular one-room schoolhouse and is in its original location. It has a medium-pitched gabled roof with prominent lintels over the front door and upper front window. This building was probably based on standardized plans prepared by William R. Mulholland, a teacher at the Provincial Normal College in Truro, who was asked to prepare a set of plans in the 1860's in response to the need for some 760 new schoolhouses needed in Nova Scotia. Six different versions of easy to construct, single-storey, one and two room wooden structures were designed, all easy to heat and well ventilated. The Centre is owned and maintained by the Earltown Community Centre Society.
Sharon United Church
15 Church Street, Tatamagouche
Sharon United Church was registered as a Municipal Heritage Property in Colchester County on October 27, 2015. The Church has a long history in Tatamagouche with construction taking place in 1854. The church bell, which is still being used, was donated by Miller Houghton & Company of Liverpool, England. A local ship builder, the Honourable Alexander Campbell, who had built several wooden sailing vessels for that firm, arranged for the donation of this bell. When the United Church of Canada was formed in 1925, the church was named Sharon United.
Design-wise, it is considered to be a wood-frame, Gothic Revival style church, one of the most popular ecclesiastical styles in Nova Scotia throughout the second half of the nineteenth century. It has distinctive arched windows, narrow and pointed, as shown on the attached photographs, which is a Gothic element. The most dominant architectural feature is the central tower with its four spires. An modern addition at the rear of the building was tastefully done as have been other necessary upgrades.
The Church maintains a prominent role in the Tatamagouche area as a place of worship and as a gathering place for community events, whether they be spiritual, intellectual or cultural in nature.
It is also valued for its physical, prominent position towards the western end of the Village, welcoming all as they come into the village center.
The Sharon United Church maintains a presence on facebook. Their page can be viewed by clicking here.
Elizabeth Bishop House
(Also known as Bulmer House)
8740 Highway 2, Great Village
The Elizabeth Bishop House and land were registered as a Municipal Heritage Property in Colchester County on June 14, 2018. Elizabeth Bishop was a Pulitzer Prize winning American poet and short story writer whose grandparents owned this house. It became the center of her universe as a child and in later life she wrote about this house and the Great Village landscape.
The EB House has a long history in Great Village with the original section of the home said
to be about 220 years old and was originally located on Scrabble Hill then was moved to its current location by her grandfather. The house is of a Classical Revival style in the vernacular form, with two extensions, a kitchen ell and a shed. The entry porch, dormers and a skylight were added after its construction.
This property was designated in 1997 as a Provincially Registered Heritage Property, under the name “Bulmer House”, her maternal grandparent’s family name.
Its heritage value then and now, is for its historical association with Elizabeth Bishop.
The EB House maintains an active presence on Facebook. Their page can be viewed by clicking here.