Maritime Silo and Farm Systems Limited began operations in April 1966.
The Irving Oil Company storage depot was built in 1965.
Camp Debert became a military property in 1938 when the R.C.A.F. Aerodrome site was acquired by the Department of National Defence. The main part of the army camp was built in 1941 to 1943, and the airfield and hangers were constructed in 1943 for operations and training by the R.C.A.F. These activities were withdrawn in 1946 and the facilities were left dormant. Much of the camp was torn down by salvage contractors by 1950. In 1959 hanger number 3 was rehabilitated as a Medical Supply Depot of Department of National Defence. In 1960 the airfield went into service for the Royal Canadian Navy for flight carrier landing practices, an operation previously carried on at Shearwater Naval Air Station.
The Steel Company of Canada, who purchased the work of the Acadian Charcoal Iron Co., opened the mines here in 1874. In 1875 a branch railway line was built between the East Mines and the Intercolonial Railway at what then became East Mines station. The East Mines ore then could be transported to the furnaces at Londonderry by rail via East Mines station and Londonderry station. The entire operation, however, was closed down about 1915. The Intercolonial Railway was completed through the East Mines station area about 1872 or 1873.
The Maritime Processing (animal fats) plant was the main industry in 1958.
A cheese factory was built in 1871. In Lower Onslow, a creamery was built in 1891. Production began at the Canadian Industries Limited plant on Onslow Road on June 29, 1966.