Parks in Colchester County
The Municipality of Colchester operates several parks ranging from small, pocket parks and neighborhood parks to larger regional parks. Some of our neighborhood parks include facilities such as walking paths, playgrounds, and multipurpose courts; others are greenspaces left in a more natural state. Five Islands Lighthouse Park, Stewiacke River Park and Nelson Memorial Park are quiet, day-use parks with picnic facilities, barbeque grills, playgrounds and water access. Colchester County is also home to several wonderful provincial parks and protected wilderness areas.
We invite you to explore the many parks and natural areas in Colchester County.
Park Notices and Advisories
Coronavirus (COVID-19) update June 26, 2020: Parks and playgrounds operated by the Municipality of Colchester are open. The Fundy Discovery Site is now open.
Take precautions to protect yourself and the people around you.
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
- Keep 2 metres apart from other family/social groups.
- Clean your hands often.
- Avoid spaces where there are a lot of people.
- Avoid contact with surfaces.
- Allow others to pass safely.
For an enjoyable experience for you and other park users, please do the following:
- Help keep our parks and natural areas clean. Please place garbage and recyclables in containers provided, or pack it home with you.
- Pick up after your pet. Keep your pet on a leash or, if off-leash, under control.
- Respect wildlife and plants in our parks.
- Be considerate of other park visitors.
Users of Municipality of Colchester parks and trails are reminded that smoking is prohibited at municipal outdoor recreation facilities. The Municipality adopted a Smoke Free Outdoor Recreational Spaces Policy in 2012. We thank you for your cooperation as together we encourage healthy lifestyles and community wellness.
Regional Day-Use Parks
- Five Islands Lighthouse Park, Lower Five Islands
- Nelson Memorial Park, Tatamagouche
- Stewiacke River Park, Stewiacke East
- Fundy Discovery Site, Lower Truro
- Birch Street Park, Salmon River
- Halfmoon Park, Valley
- Nancy Avenue Park, Salmon River
- Oakland Drive Park, Onslow
North River Ball Field, North River
Valley Recreation Area/Pictou Road Ballfield, Valley
Hilden Ball Field, Hilden
For more information about protected areas in Colchester County, please visit Protected Areas, Nova Scotia Environment.
Hiking Trails in Wilderness Areas in Colchester County:
The Nova Scotia Department of Lands and Forestry operates several provincial parks in Colchester County. For more information about these and other provincial camping and picnic parks, visit the Nova Scotia Provincial Parks website.