Step 1 - Application
- To start the process, complete the Solar Colchester online application form, or drop into the office at 1 Church Street, Truro, to fill out an application in person.
- Applications will be considered on a first come first served basis. You will receive a confirmation of receipt once your application has been received.
- All applications will be reviewed by the Finance Department and you will be notified if your application is ineligible. See Eligibility under the 'About the Program' tab for more information.
- The Program Administrator will contact you to let you know whether your property is eligible for participation.
Step 2 – Choosing a Contractor
- Select a contractor from the
Municipality’s List of Approved Contractors
- It is recommended that you obtain quotes from three different contractors before making a decision. Each solar contractor will prepare a cost estimate for your project, including a breakdown of the costs, a payback calculation, and specifications for the products that will be installed. Your quote may also indicate how much funding you are eligible for from Efficiency Nova Scotia’s SolarHomes rebate program, or you can request this information.
- It is also good practice to your potential contractor for references from a previous project or two.
- Once you have selected a contractor you are happy with, please sign and date and submit a copy of your quote and site assessment to the Program Administrator.
Step 3 – Deposit and Participant Agreement
- There is a $1,000 deposit required from program participants when you sign the Participant Agreement to ensure that you are serious about following through with the project. The deposit will be subtracted from your first payment.
Step 4 – Installation
- The solar contractor will install solar panels on your home or building, as per the design and cost estimate.
- When the installation is complete, the solar contractor will submit a Certificate of Completion and invoice to the Municipality. The Municipality pays the invoice and levies a Solar Energy Improvement Charge against your property.
Step 5 – Annual Payments
- Once a year, you will be billed for the Solar Energy Improvement Charge, including any interest accrued up to that date. You can pay the Charge in the same manner as taxes.
- The fixed interest rate for your project will be determined at the time you sign the Participant Agreement and will be calculated using the current Prime lending rate plus 0.75%. For more information on the interest rate and payments, see Program Costs under the 'About the Program' tab.