Cobequid Trail

Municipal Dog By-law

Dog By-law - Chapter 35 (June 2006)

ByLaw Enforcement Officer

pet dogHere in Colchester County we have a Bylaw Enforcement Officer that is responsible for Animal Control. The Bylaw Enforcement Officer administers the County's Dog Control By-law, responds to public complaints and questions, and assists in stray livestock issues to make every pet the best 4-legged citizen they can be.

phone2The By-law Enforcement Officer's office is located on the main floor of the County Courthouse, 1 Church Street, Truro. Questions and complaints may be made in person or by calling 902-897-3170 during regular business hours (8:30am - 4:30pm), evenings or weekends. In the case of night and/or weekend emergencies an answering service will take your call and contact the By-law Enforcement Officer.

Filing a Complaint

When filing a complaint please note you are required to provide your name, address, and phone number. The Bylaw Enforcement Officer will need you to include as much detail as possible, including the nature of the complaint; civic address of the dog owner; and the date(s) and time(s) the alleged infraction(s) took place. All of this information is vital to the investigation of any complaint.

Dog Licenses/ Tags

Every dog in the Municipality of Colchester are privileged to have access to the most practical and fashionable accessory piece, Dog Tags. Licenses are good for one year, from January to December. Every dog should have a licence to help them be brought home sooner when they're lost or loose. Each tag is $12.00 and can be purchased from any of the following:

  1. The By-law Enforcement Officer
  2. Community Development Department, County Office
  3. All My Pets, Salmon River
  4. Central Nova Animal Hospital, Bible Hill
  5. Fundy Veterinarians (both Murray Siding and Shubenacadie locations)
  6. Truro Veterinary Hospital, Truro
  7. Stay N' Play Canine Centre, Truro
  8. Furture Worx Tatamagouche
  9. 'The Store' (formerly Grant's Grocery in North River)
  10. SPCA Truro
  11. Cross Roads Boarding, Behavior, and Training, Great Village

Please click the following link to view the pdf Dog Registration Form (471 KB) .

Lost Dogs

If your dog is lost there are several places you can contact to help. Post your dog on the lost and found section on the radio, speak to neighbours, call the Animal Control Officer, and contact the Nova Scotia Lost Dog Network. All of these people will do what they can in assisting you to find your dog.

Who to Contact: Animal Abuse, Amandonment and Neglect

Any Farm Animal (Horses, Cattle, etc.)

If you suspect that livestock are being mistreated please contact the Nova Scotia Department of Environment: Farm Animal Welfare at: 

Phone: 1-877-9ENVIRO (1-877-936-8476)
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (complaints)
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (info)
Website: Farm Animal Welfare

 Small Domestic Animals (Cats, Dogs, etc.)dog and cat

If you suspect that domestic animals are being mistreated please contact the Provincial SPCA at: 1-888-703-7722





Animal Control Complaints in the Town of Truro

As of June 1 ,2016 the Municipality of the County of Colchester no longer offers animal control services to the Town of Truro. If you live in the town please contact Truro Police Dispatch at 902-895-5351

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use.