Stewiacke River Park
Stewiacke River Park is a quiet picnic park located beside the Stewiacke River. Majestic pine, hemlock and spruce trees shade the riverbank and picnic areas. Enjoy a stroll on the trail along the river and watch for bald eagles commonly seen in the park. Share a picnic lunch with family or friends. Climb up, slide down and run around on the new playground. Come for an hour, or stay for an afternoon. Discover Stewiacke River Park. It's yours to explore.
- large timberframe picnic shelter with barbeque
- covered picnic tables
- walking trails
- washrooms (2 wheelchair-accessible composting toilets)
- river access for swimming (unsupervised), boating and fishing
- If you have not been to the park during the past few years, plan to visit! Several areas of the park have undergone renovation. Thank you for your continued support and patience as we improve the park for your enjoyment.
- Entrance: The parking area has been redesigned and upgraded. A new washroom (composting toilet) has been installed for the convenience of park visitors.
- Picnic areas: A beautiful timberframe picnic shelter now services the main picnic area. The picnic area near the entrance has also been upgraded with the addition of a small timberframe shelter. The picnic area at the back of the park has also been improved.
- Trails: The walking trail network in the park has been expanded, and we have placed benches at restful sites along the route.
The Municipality of Colchester gratefully acknowledges the financial support received in recent years for upgrades to Stewiacke River Park from the following: the Government of Canada's Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund, Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations' Community ACCESS-ability Program, Nova Scotia Health and Wellness, and Nova Scotia Department of Seniors' Age-Friendly Communities Program. Projects funded include the entrance renovations, timberframe picnic shelters, wheelchair-accessible Clivus Multrum compost toilets, and accessible components of the new playground.
Use of Park for Events
Season and Hours of Operation
2017 Season: The park is open from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., from May 8 until October 9.
Admission to the park is free.
Location and Directions
The park is located at 528 Stewiacke River Park Road in Stewiacke East. The park is situated approximately 10 km from Stewiacke, 14 km from Brookfield, and 28 km from Truro.
From Truro/Brookfield: Take Highway 102 Exit 12 (Brookfield) to Route 2. Travel south on Route 2 approximately 7 km, then turn left onto Alton Road. Continue about 4 km, then turn left onto Stewiacke River Park Road. Continue about 2 km to the park.
From Stewiacke: Take Highway 102 Exit 11 (Stewiacke) to Main Street (cross Route 2). Travel through downtown Stewiacke (cross the railroad tracks) and veer left onto Main Street East (which becomes Cloverdale Road outside town limit). Continue approximately 6 km to a stop sign. Turn left onto Alton Road. Continue about 2 km, then turn right onto Stewiacke River Park Road. Continue about 2 km to the park.
From Brookfield and Stewiacke, follow the blue and white directional signs to the park.
We look forward to seeing you soon!