Nelson Memorial Park
This 47-acre picnic park is situated in a quiet, natural setting beside Tatamagouche Bay on the Northumberland Shore.
Discover Nelson Memorial Park
- Picnic with family or friends under the large timberframe picnic shelter or one of the smaller covered picnic tables.
- Enjoy the ocean view from the paths along the shore.
- Explore the Butter Trail (rail trail), part of The Great Trail.
- Swing and slide on the playground.
- Stroll along the paths through the woods.
- Walk the gravel beach and watch for wildlife along the salt marsh.
- Stop and smell the roses in the floral gardens (a project in partnership with Tatamagouche Communities in Bloom)
Use of Park for Events
Know When You Go
- 2019 Season: May 11 - October 14, daily from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (gate opens at 8:00 am and closes at 8:00 pm)
- Free admission.
- Barbeque grills are available at the two smaller picnic shelters. You must bring your own charcoal briquettes.
- Dogs must be keep on leash in the park. Dogs may be off leash only in the fenced dog park. Please pick up after your pet.
- There is ocean access, however due to the tidal variation and shallow bay, water activities such as swimming, canoeing, and kayaking are limited.
- Hunting is not allowed.
- Off-highway vehicles are allowed only on the rail trail (Butter Trail, part of The Great Trail), and not on the walking trails in the park.
Address: 153 Loop of Highway 6, Bayhead
Location: 2 km west of Tatamagouche via Highway 6; 55 km north of Truro via Route 311.
From Highway 6 on the west side of Tatamagouche, follow the blue and white signs to the park.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
In 2019, we are constructing a new washroom building; it will include a multi-purpose room for community use. In 2014, we expanded the walking trails in the park and constructed a timberframe picnic shelter. Thank you for your support and patience as we continue to improve the park for your enjoyment.
Gazebo in Park